Marriott Grosvenor Square
Golden Whistle Awards
In association with
The brainchild of Institution of Railway Operators luminary Chris Loder, the Golden Whistles event was founded in 2010 to promote best practice and celebrate excellence in railway operations. The annual event now incorporates a morning conference at which railway operators discuss developments aimed at improving operations, followed by a networking lunch and the handing out of the Golden Whistle awards for excellence in railway operating.
HOST: Dick Fearn
Formerly CEO, Irish Rail
Dick Fearn has 40 years’ senior management experience in the rail industry in Britain and Ireland. He served for 10 years as COO and then CEO of Iarnród Éireann (Irish Railways). With British Rail from 1973 to 1996, he had a number of rail operations roles, culminating in senior executive posts as the Divisional Director of the Thames & Chiltern Division and later the South Eastern Division of BR’s Network SouthEast. At the time of rail privatisation in the UK, Dick was appointed to the post of Managing Director of The South Eastern Train Company, subsequently moving to Railtrack plc as Zone Director of North West and later Midlands Zones.
The Golden Whistle awards – in which the trophies feature that archetypal element of efficient railway operating, the Acme Thunderer whistle – celebrate the best of railway operating and are handed out to those companies making the greatest strides in punctuality and other key indicators.
• Right time arrivals – Inter-city TOCs. Golden Whistle for best in class, Silver Whistle for most improved. Based on Network Rail moving annual average right time data to end of Period 9.
• Right time arrivals – London and South East TOCs. Golden Whistle for best in class, Silver Whistle for most improved. Based on Network Rail moving annual average right time data to end of Period 9.
• Right time arrivals – Regional TOCs. Golden Whistle for best in class, Silver Whistle for most improved. Based on Network Rail moving annual average right time data to end of Period 9.
• Freight performance – FOCs. Golden Whistle for best in class, Silver Whistle for most improved. Based on ‘A2F’ (Arrival to Fifteen) moving annual average scores of freight operating companies.
• Minimising delay minutes – operators. Golden Whistle for best in class, Silver Whistle for most improved. All TOCs and FOCs assessed for reduction in ‘TOC/FOC on self’ delays, moving annual average to end of Period 9.
• Minimising delay minutes – Network Rail Routes. Golden Whistle for best in class, Silver Whistle for most improved. All Routes assessed for delay minutes caused to all operators, moving annual average to end of Period 9.
• London Underground Line performance. All Lines assessed for reduction in lost customer hours to end of Period 9. Golden Whistle for most improved, Silver Whistle for second most improved.
• Outstanding Operator/Operating Team. Golden Whistle for an individual / operating team that has gone above and beyond in making a contribution.
• Special Award. Each year the IRO judging panel chooses an individual or team and awards a Golden Whistle for special acts of courage, selflessness or quick thinking.
HOW DO I ENTER?
Most of the Golden Whistle awards are made on the basis of statistical information compiled by the industry and do not require companies to enter. There is one category for which the winners are selected by a panel of CIRO judges and for which entries are invited:
The Golden Whistle for the Best Individual Operator / Operating Team – awarded each year to an individual or team that has gone above and beyond in its contribution.
CALLING ALL OUTSTANDING OPERATORS!
Every year Golden Whistles are awarded to outstanding operators. Why not nominate your outstanding operator, or operating team for the next awards?
Entries for the 2023 awards will open later this year.
The Golden Whistles event begins with a series of topical presentations on operating issues, starting at approximately 09.00. The programme will be confirmed nearer the event.
GOLDEN WHISTLE AWARDS
12 noon Pre-lunch drinks
12.45 Guests enter the dining room for lunch
14.30 After-lunch speech
14.50 Dick Fearn presents the Golden Whistles awards
TABLES AND SPONSORSHIP
Tables of 10 at this event cost £1450 +VAT, sponsorship details available on request. Contact Dave Lane via email firstname.lastname@example.org or call on 07795 031051