In partnership with
In association with
Raising funds for
CrossCountry and Modern Railways are jointly organising a special railtour on Tuesday 27 September 2022, featuring the unusual opportunity to travel along the Severn Valley Railway on an HST.
The event marks two anniversaries this year: 40 years of HSTs on CrossCountry’s North East to South West route and 60 years of publication of Modern Railways magazine.
The special trip will start from Leeds with calls en-route at Wakefield Westgate, Doncaster, Sheffield, Derby and Birmingham New Street, before arriving at Kidderminster late morning. After a ceremony at Kidderminster to mark the anniversaries, the HST will run along the Severn Valley Railway to Bridgnorth and back. Departure from Kidderminster will be early evening, calling at the same points as in the morning.
The proposed schedule is as follows (please note all timings are approximate and subject to change in accordance with train planning requirements):
|Pick-up times||Drop-off times|
|Birmingham New Street||10.43||19.17|
Tickets are priced at £100 return in Standard Class (plus a £2 booking fee per transaction – click the link below to go to the SVR website to book your tickets). This covers return travel from your chosen boarding point and return travel on the HST on the SVR. We are working with the SVR to organise special activities at the railway, including a display of heritage traction and diesel depot tours. Details of these will be confirmed nearer to the time of the trip, but they are strictly subject to availability.
We also have an exclusive competition for readers of Hornby Magazine and Modern Railways to win a pair of First Class tickets, which are not being made available for general sale.
Ways to join the HST Railtour
For any general enquiries about the trip, e-mail email@example.com
The celebration of the 60th anniversary of Modern Railways will conclude later in the year with the two-day Modern Railways EXPO show at Milton Keynes on 22-23 November. For more details see www.modernrailways.com/expo
- Tickets are allocated by coach, but specific seats are not reserved.
- The timetable for the day may be subject to change for operational reasons. The organisers of the trip will aim to provide sufficient notice of any amendments but cannot accept any liability for short notice changes outside their control.
- Tickets are non-refundable. In the event that it is necessary for the organisers to cancel the trip, we will aim to reschedule for an alternative date and your ticket will be transferred. If you are unable to travel on the alternative date, a full refund will be provided.
- An at-seat catering service will be provided, subject to availability, between Leeds and Birmingham New Street in both directions. We regret that it will not be possible to offer on-board catering between Birmingham New Street and Kidderminster or on the Severn Valley Railway between Kidderminster and Bridgnorth. However, you will be able to purchase refreshments at the Severn Valley Railway’s outlets.
- It is the ticket holder’s responsibility to arrive in good time for departure and the organisers cannot be held responsible for those who arrive after the train has departed.
- Please advise if you have any specific accessibility requirements, and we will inform station and on-train staff. There are two wheelchair spaces on the train, located in Coach F – these must be reserved in advance of travel.
- Your information provided when booking will be collected solely for the purposes of the railtour and will not be used for any other reason. The Severn Valley Railway is acting as ticket sales agent for the railtour and will be collecting all fares and distributing authorities to travel. However, it may be necessary for the SVR to pass your information to CrossCountry or Key Publishing (the owner of Modern Railways magazine) for reasons associated with the railtour. In turn, for operational reasons it may be necessary for your information to be passed to other railway organisations solely for the purposes of providing you with access to the railtour. Your information will be not shared with any external organisation for any other reason. By booking a ticket you consent to your information being shared in this way.