NETWORK RAIL has awarded contracts worth £800 million for the haulage and operation of its engineering trains and seasonal treatment services during Control Period 6 (2019-24). The contracts are divided into eight lots and have been awarded as follows:
• Lot 1: Haulage for network, bulk ballast and possession trains – Freightliner, GB Railfreight, Direct Rail Services, DB Cargo UK and Colas Rail UK;
• Lot 2: Operations at Network Rail’s local distribution centres – DB Cargo UK (Millerhill, Carlisle, Doncaster, Toton, Hinksey, Westbury and Hoo), GB Railfreight (Bescot, Whitemoor and Eastleigh) and Freightliner (Crewe); n Lot 3: Multi-purpose vehicle (MPV) weedspray treatment – Balfour Beatty and DB Cargo UK;
• Lot 4: MPV autumn and winter treatment – Balfour Beatty and DB Cargo UK;
• Lot 5: Rail head treatment train (RHTT) for autumn treatment – DB Cargo UK, Direct Rail Services, Colas Rail UK, GB Railfreight and Freightliner;
• Lot 6: Snow and ice treatment train (SITT) for winter treatment – GB Railfreight;
• Lot 7: Winter development train for winter treatment – Direct Rail Services;
• Lot 8: Snow ploughs, route proving and ice breaking for winter treatment – Direct Rail Services. NR says the new contracts will help to drive improvements in performance and delivery for more reliable services for passengers and freight. The framework award is one of the most substantial of Network Rail’s CP6 contracts to be let following the Office of Rail and Road’s final determination, which confirmed £42 billion of funding for rail operations, maintenance and renewals.